Are you ready to explore the spectrum of emotions? Grab your sketchbooks and I will show you how to get started and where to find inspiring reference photos.
Achieving likeness or realism isn’t the goal, it’s all about capturing and finding expressive characters during your sketchbook practice. In this class we will explore mature male faces and do two projects:
- One profile portrait built up out of linework, directly with pen.
- One front view portrait with dramatic lighting using charcoal.
- Black Pitt Pen (S) but you can substitute with any drawing tool
- Willow charcoal
- Compressed charcoal
- Kneaded eraser
- Mechanical eraser by Tombow, the rectangular shaped eraser works best
- Sketchbooks (I'm using a Kraft sketchbook and one of those cheap ones with the linen cover. As long as your paper feels a little rough to the touch, you're good to go!)