The build up
Hi! Thank you for being here for this free quick dip into creativity, I hope you will enjoy doing this study with me. Don’t feel intimidated, we’ll take it easy and achieving likeness is not our goal. I will guide you all the way, starting by laying a foundation in a surprising and very direct manner. You got this <3
All you need is:
- Charcoal powder (I will explain how you can make it yourself)
- Compressed charcoal (it works best but you can certainly do the exercise if you only have willow or vine)
- Paper (something with a bit of grit for the chacoal to hang on to. Newsprint is a very affordable option which works well)
- An eraser
- Fixative spray to preserve your portrait after the lesson (If you only have hairspray at hand, that will work. Just know that it tends to yellow over time)
- Love 😉
Some extra tips:
- If you are having trouble finding the values in your reference photo, squint your eyes. That will make it easier because you won’t be distracted by all the details
- Black and white photos with high contrast are very suitable for this exercise.
- Try to focus on form (through shading) before detail.
- If you feel like changing something or adding in some storytelling, follow your heart and make it your own!
- I would love it if you would share your art in my private facebook group, it’s a kind and supportive community